Monday, February 25, 2013

Owls – Travelling is a hoot!


Yes, yes, I know, I am one very lucky and privileged person to get to lead and guide wildlife tours all around the world! I appreciate the opportunities and one way to show it is to share experiences here on my blog. I have never been a bird lister or keep account of the number of species I’ve seen, but I am constantly reminded of why I love birds. On virtually every tour there are birds that make an impression and stick around in my memory, very often my first thoughts of a country are associated with birds I’ve seen there. I have now been birding, researching, drawing and writing about these great creatures for over 50 years, so some of my blogs get written as a whim, a recollection of some particular bird or sometimes I get inspired when I study one of the many emails I receive asking for help on an id. More recently I had the thrill, although no good photographs, of seeing Costa Rican Pygmy-Owl and both colour phases too! The experience was a reminder of what a wonderfully diverse and appealing family owls are, which leads me to the thoughts behind this particular blog, owls!

I like so many families of birds, that it becomes impossible, almost, to choose a favourite. I guess the group of wheatear species tend to hold a special place in my life, but how on earth do I choose any others when I get so enthused by so many? Trogons, hummingbirds, raptors, tanagers and so the list goes on. I have friends who love nothing better than seabirds, others that believe there are only two types of bird in the world – Birds of Prey and Prey!! Yet, who doesn’t like owls? Fluffy, characters, wide-eyed and somehow endearing, owls tend to be a great favourite among adults and children alike. Here I share a few favourite owl species from my travels and very much hope you enjoy this pictorial journey across several continents.

Europe.

Long-eared Owl


Little Owl


Tawny Owl


Americas.

Striped Owl


Crested Owl


Tawny-bellied Screech Owl


Africa.

Spotted Eagle Owl


Verreaux's Eagle Owl


African Scops Owl


Asia.

Asian Barred Owlet


Brown Fish Owl


Spotted Owlet


You can join Peter’s travels on any of his tours worldwide. Why not take a look at the link to tours visiting various continents below:


Peter also does day tours and self-made holidays in Spain, to learn more see the links below:

No comments: