Saturday, July 20, 2019

Birding and drinking my breakfast tea

Good morning Saturday as I slurp a Yorkshire Tea on my terrace here in the Serranía de Ronda in deepest Andalucía. I am watching an adult Woodchat Shrike pouncing on beetles on the adjoining common land and returning to it's fence to dismember the unfortunate victims of it's labours. Above Pallid, Common and Alpine Swift are hawking insects for breakfast and are joined by House Martin, Swallow and Red-rumped Swallow as insects take to their precarious flight, even a solitary Crag Martin joins the feast.

A Nightingale is croaking under the cover of the many Fig Trees in the garden, while finches visit the garden pond for their early morning bath and drink, wonder if they might enjoy a Yorkshire Tea? Young and dispersing warblers are busy inspecting my large oak and flitting through the overhanging branches, appearing fleetingly as they emerge from dense leaf tangles, a Spotted Flycatcher makes it's dashing flight from the understorey to snatch a passing insect, an ant lion I think, while the plaintive call of a Booted Eagle attract my gaze above the garden.



Life is tough in these urban surrounding, but I do my best to enjoy it.

No comments: